These roasted green beans and carrots make a great change from boiled or steamed vegetables, which can often be tasteless.
Roasting brings out the natural sweetness and gives delicious caramelised edges, that really do bring these vegetables to life.
Put these veggies in the oven with a Sunday roast, a lasagne or any other midweek meal and this dish is cooked with very little effort in just 20 minutes.
No draining, straining or steam in sight. Just an easy, all in one side dish to go with everything.
I have never been a fan of boiled vegetables, and sliced boiled carrots are so uninteresting, aren't they?
With energy bills rocketing, I think it's important to maximise the space in the oven, if you already have it on for something else, to make sure that the oven is full.
Of course, the other benefit is that you are not juggling another pan on the hob, and who needs that draining and straining when you are trying to serve dinner?
This recipe is so simple, as you only really need to spend a few minutes cutting the carrots. The oven can do the rest for you.
I've kept the flavour very simple with just a little honey to enhance the carrots, but you can leave it out and it will still be delicious.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- Easy to prepare in advance.
- Economical cooking to save money.
- Uses very little oven spce.
- Cooks in 30 minutes.
- Great with roasts, fish or any family meals.
- No last minute straining before serving.
💙 Save this recipe for later
Did you know? When you see the 💙on the right hand side, you can bookmark the page to save it for later, or share it too. This is also the best place to subscribe for weekly updates
- Green beans - untrimmed green beans.
- Carrots - long carrots, any width.
- Salt - cooking or kosher salt.
- Pepper - freshly ground black pepper.
- Honey - clear honey.
- Oil - vegetable, olive or canola oil.
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post.
- sharp knife
- chopping board
- oven tray
- baking parchment / foil / silicon mat
Wash the beans and cut off the stalk ends.
Peel the carrots and slice into long batons, roughly the length and width of the beans.
💭 Top Tip
- There's no need to peel the carrots if you don't want to. Just give them a good scrub with a vegetable brush.
Line a roasting dish with baking parchment.
This makes it easy to clean up and also stops the honey from sticking the roasted green beans and carrots to the dish.
Arrange the carrots in a single layer.
Drizzle over the oil and seasoning then turn them to make sure they are evenly coated.
⏲️ Roasting Time
Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F / 180 FAN / Gas 6 and roast for 15 minutes.
Remove the carrots from the oven.
Add the green beans and honey and stir to coat.
Return to the oven for about 15 minutes until sweet and tender.
Transfer the roasted green beans and carrots to a dish and serve.
🥗 Serve with
- Beef Olives
- Roast Lamb Shanks
- Slow Cooker Brisket
- Slow Roast Lamb Shoulder
- Simple Roast Gammon
- Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
- Roast Rib of Beef
- Jacob's Ladder Beef
- Pheasant and Venison Casserole
- Turkey and Ham Pie
- Spider Steak with Tarragon Butter
- Savoury Mince
- Roast Pigeon
- Spatchcock Duck
- Sausage Hotpot
- Pheasant Breast with Wild Mushroom Sauce
- Corned Beef Fritters
- Vegan - replace the honey with a sweetener of your choice or leave it out completely.
- Honey - use maple syrup.
- Spicy - omit the honey and sprinkle over half a teaspoon of chilli powder or smoked paprika. Ground cumin and coriander add a sweet and earthy flavour for a change too.
- Garlic - add some sliced garlic with the green beans.
- Lemon - grate over some lemon zest before serving.
- Refrigerator - cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freezer - pack into containers and freeze for up to 2 months.
- To reheat - warm in a frying pan or in the oven for 10 minutes at 200 C / 400 F / 180 FAN / Gas 6.
🍱 Prepare in Advance
- Prepare the carrots and place in a bag or container with the seasoning and oil for up to 2 days before you are ready to cook.
French beans, or haricot verts, were actually brough to France by the Spanish and Portuguese.
They are a variety of green bean that are slightly longer and thinner than the standard green bean variety and are slightly more tender.
They are still extremely popular in France and are often eaten as a course on their own, cold with a vinaigrette dressing.
More vegetable dishes
Try some of these side dishes.
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- Roasted Long Stem Broccoli
- Whole Baked Cauliflower Cheese
- Cavolo Nero Kale
- Honey Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
- Easy Roast Potatoes
- Honey Roasted Swede
- Roast Savoy Cabbage
- Minted Mushy Peas
- Pan Haggerty
Roasted Green Beans and Carrots
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Oven tray
- baking parchment / foil / silicon mat
- 300 g green beans
- 300 g carrots
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Wash the beans and cut off the stalk ends.
- Peel the carrots and slice into long batons, roughly the length and width of the beans.
- Line a roasting dish with baking parchment and arrange the carrots in a single layer.
- Drizzle over the oil and seasoning then turn them to make sure they are evenly coated.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F / 180 FAN / Gas 6 and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and add the green beans and honey. Stir to coat the carrots and beans.
- Return to the oven for about 15 minutes until tender.
- Transfer to a dish and serve.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Detailed instructions for this recipe, including step by step photographs, hints and tips, can be found in the main article
More vegetable dishes
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using gas.
Do you have a question or did you make the recipe?
Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover the dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties
However, due to spam comments, I do have to moderate each one, so don't worry if you cannot see your comment immediately. I'll publish your comments as soon as I can.