These honey roasted carrots and parsnips are an easy side dish that are ready in just 40 minutes, so perfect for your Sunday roast or any meal.
Roasting the vegetables brings out their natural sweetness, and the honey adds a gorgeous shine to the caramelised edges, that is difficult to resist.
And the best bit? They can cook at the same time as your roast potatoes, so you can put them in and forget them.
I love vegetables, but I am really not a fan of plain boiled carrots and other root vegetables. They have such a great natural sweetness, that is enhanced when roasting, so it's a shame not to make the most of their flavour.
This recipe is designed so that the root vegetables can go into the oven at the same time as the roast potatoes or other potato dish, to make life as easy as possible. And, if you prefer to leave the honey out, just use the same dish as the potatoes and there will be one less pan to clean.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- Child friendly.
- Budget friendly.
- Easy to prepare and cook.
- Great flavour and caramelised edges.
Did you know? When you see the 💙on the right hand side, you can bookmark the page to save it for later, or share it too. This is also the best place to subscribe for weekly updates
- Carrots - large, long carrots work best as it's easier to cut them the same size as the parsnips.
- Parsnips - avoid really thin parsnips with spindly ends as they tend to burn.
- Oil - vegetable oil or olive oil which helps to stop the butter from burning.
- Butter - this gives a rich flavour to the vegetables.
- Salt - ideally flaked sea salt.
- Pepper - freshly ground black pepper.
- Parsley - fresh parsley for garnish.
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post.
- oven proof roasting dish
- sharp knife
- chopping board
Peel the carrots and parsnips and cut into large batons.
💭 Top Tip
- Cut the parsnips and carrots in half through the equator. Slice the thicker top ends in half lengthways and then each half into 3. Cut the smaller lower half into 2.
Put the butter and oil into a roasting tin and place in the oven.
Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / 160 FAN / Gas 4.
Add the vegetables to the dish and stir so that they are all coated evenly.
Season with the salt and pepper.
⏲️ Baking Time
Roast for 20 minutes and then add the honey to the dish.
Stir so that all the vegetables are turned over and coated in the honey.
Roast for a further 20 minutes until crisp and golden.
Transfer the honey roasted carrots and parsnips to a serving dish.
Chop the parsley and scatter over to serve.
🥗 Serve with
These roasted vegetables are delicious with roast meats and hearty dishes, so try some of these ideas.
- Beef olives
- Turkey and Ham Pie
- Roast Gammon
- Roast Rib of Beef
- Venison Stew
- Cowboy Steak
- Saddle of Lamb
- Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- Roast Pigeon
- Pheasant Breast
- Pheasant Pie
- Slow Roast Lamb Shoulder
- Chicken and leek pie
- Chicken supreme
- Rack of Pork
- Cannon of lamb
- Duck with orange sauce
- Butter - use ghee, duck fat or olive oil instead.
- Vegan - use maple syrup or another sweetener.
- Vegetables - try the same method with other vegetables such as swede (rutabaga), turnips, squash or celeriac.
- Refrigerator -cool, cover and keep for up to 5 days.
- Freezer - wrap well and freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
- To reheat - Place ina oven proof dish and roast for 10-20 minutes at 180 C / 350 F / 160 FAN / Gas 4 .
🍱 Prepare in Advance
- Peel and cut the vegetables in advance and sore in a container in the fridge for up to 2 days or place in a bowl of water on the worktop. to save fridge space.
There is no actual need to parboil parsnips before roasting.
This was often done in the past for old woody parsnips, to stop them drying out. The inner core of the parsnips was often removed too.
A good tip is to put the prepared vegetables in a bowl and pour over the water from parboiling potatoes. Leave them in the water then drain before roasting. This ensures tender vegetables without extra cooking.
More side dishes to try
- Leeks in white sauce with bacon
- Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli
- Whole Baked Cauliflower Cheese
- Honey Roasted Swede
- Pan Haggerty
- Minted Mushy Peas
- Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Honey Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
- oven proof dish
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- 300 g carrots
- 300 g parsnips
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley fresh and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Peel the carrots and parsnips and cut into large batons.
- Put the butter and oil into a roasting tin and place in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / 160 FAN / Gas 4.
- Add the vegetables to the dish and stir so that they are coated.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes and then add the honey to the dish.
- Stir so that all the vegetables are turned and coated in the honey.
- Roast for a further 20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Transfer the honey roasted carrots and parsnips to a serving dish.
- Chop the parsley and scatter over to serve.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Detailed instructions for this recipe, including step by step photographs, hints and tips, can be found in the main article
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using gas.
Do you have a question or did you make the recipe?
Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover the dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties
However, due to spam comments, I do have to moderate each one, so don't worry if you cannot see your comment immediately. I'll publish your comments as soon as I can.