Spam and pineapple fried rice makes a delicious budget and family friendly meal when there's not a lot left in the fridge and you don't have much time.
It's also a great idea for using up leftover cooked rice to avoid waste.
Quick, easy and surprisingly tasty, this is a rice dish the whole family will love.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- Great for using up leftover rice.
- Family friendly flavours.
- Perfect for busy nights as it's ready in 15 minutes.
- Easy to vary the ingredients.
This tinned meat is a combination of ham and pork that is cooked in the tins.
It can be eaten hot or cold from the tin , so it's a great standby ingredient for a last minute dinner.
It was very popular in periods of austerity through the 50's and 70's and was often on menus as spam, egg and chips.
It tastes very much like bacon, so it's really tasty!
I do prefer to cook meals from scratch with fresh meat and vegetables, but there are some nights when life gets in the way and you need to make something out of nothing for dinner.
So, I always keep a few tinned essentials around, just in case.
This dish is made with a tin of spam and some tinned pineapple for ease, along with leftover rice.
Of course, you can cook the rice from scratch or just use a pack of precooked rice. This is another great standby I always keep a stock of too.
The rest of the ingredients are items you will likely have in your fridge or freezer, and if you don't have them, there are so many other ingredients that would work too.
💙 Save this recipe for later
Did you know? When you see the 💙on the right hand side, you can bookmark the page to save it for later, or share it too. This is also the best place to subscribe for weekly updates
- Spam - a can of chopped ham and pork, found in most supermarkets.
- Peas - frozen peas. Leave them to defrost while you are preparing the rest of the dish.
- Pineapple - a couple of rings from a tin of pineapple. If you have some leftover it can be transferred to a bag or container and frozen for up to 2 months.
- Egg - medium free range egg.
- Mushrooms - any mushrooms you have.
- Oil - vegetable oil or similar for frying.
- Rice - cooked leftover white rice which has cooled or cook the rice according to pack instructions.
- Onions - spring onions, also known as green onions, as they don't need any cooking and have a mild flavour.
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post.
- large frying pan or skillet
- sharp knife
- chopping board
- wooden spoon
- kitchen towel
This recipe calls for cooked rice that has cooled. This always makes the best fried rice, so if you want to make the spam and pineapple fried rice from scratch, cook the rice, drain well in a colander and then spread onto a baking sheet until it is cold and dry
Slice the spam and then cut into cubes about 1 centimetre or half an inch.
Cut the mushrooms and pineapple into even pieces and peel and slice the spring onions.
⏲️ Cooking Time
Add a teaspoon of oil to the frying pan over a medium heat.
Break the egg into the pan and stir while it cooks. Turn off the heat and transfer the egg to a bowl.
Wait until the pan has cooled and use a piece of kitchen towel to wipe the pan.
Add another teaspoon of oil to the pan over a medium heat.
Put the spam and mushrooms in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until they are browned on all sides.
Transfer to the bowl with the egg.
Next, add the last teaspoon of oil over a medium heat.
Tip in the cold, cooked rice and spread the mixture out.
Cook for 2 minutes and then turn the rice. This helps to get those crispy bits in fried rice.
Lastly, add the bowl containing the egg, mushrooms and spam and tip in the pineapple, spring onions and peas.
Stir gently for a few minutes until the mixture is hot.
Season and serve with some soy sauce or sweet chilli sauce.
🥗 Serve with
Serve the spam and pineapple fried rice as a brunch or buffet dish with some of these ideas.
- Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Confit Chicken Wings
- Devilled Chicken
- Lorne Sausage
- Pork and Apple Burgers
- Minted Lamb Burgers
- Courgette and Sweetcorn Fritters
- Corned Beef Fritters
- Mushrooms on Toast
- Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
- Spam - use some cooked ham, leftover chicken or pork, cooked sausages or whatever you have.
- Spring onions - chop an onion finely and fry with the mushrooms.
Swap the vegetables for some of these ideas.
- Sweetcorn - frozen or canned.
- Peppers - chopped and fried or left raw.
- Prawns - frozen and thawed prawns.
- Fridge - if you cook and cool the rice and use the same day, you can safely store leftovers for 2 days in the fridge. If you are using leftover rice it's not safe to reheat it more than once.
🍱 Prepare in Advance
- Cook the rice and refrigerate for up to 4 days before using to finish the dish.
More budget friendly recipes
- Pea Pottage
- London Particular
- Stuffed Breast of Lamb
- Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
- Savoury Mince
- Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef Hash
Spam and Pineapple Fried Rice
- Large frying pan or skillet
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Wooden spoon
- 200 g spam 1 small tin
- 45 g frozen peas
- 375 g cooked rice 150g when uncooked
- 80 g pineapple 2 rings
- 1 egg
- 80 g mushrooms 4 medium
- 2 spring onions green onions
- Slice the spam and then cut into cubes about 1 centimetre or half an inch.
- Cut the mushrooms and pineapple into even pieces and peel and slice the spring onions.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the frying pan over a medium heat.
- Break the egg into the pan and stir while it cooks. Turn off the heat and transfer the egg to a bowl.
- Wait until the pan has cooled and use a piece of kitchen towel to wipe the pan.
- Add another teaspoon of oil to the pan over a medium heat.
- Put the spam and mushrooms in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until they are browned on all sides.
- Transfer to the bowl with the egg.
- Next, add the last teaspoon of oil over a medium heat.
- Tip in the cold, cooked rice and spread the mixture out.
- Cook for 2 minutes and then turn the rice. This helps to get those crispy bits in fried rice.
- Lastly, add the bowl containing the egg, mushrooms and spam and tip in the pineapple, spring onions and peas.
- Stir gently for a few minutes until the mixture is hot.
- Season and serve with some soy sauce or sweet chilli sauce.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Detailed instructions for this recipe, including step by step photographs, hints and tips, can be found in the main article
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using gas.
Do you have a question or did you make the recipe?
Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover the dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties
However, due to spam comments, I do have to moderate each one, so don't worry if you cannot see your comment immediately. I'll publish your comments as soon as I can.