These bacon wrapped onion rings are the perfect topping for your burger or a side dish for a steak.
Smoked bacon is wrapped round onion rings and dipped in a sweet and spicy coating before they are baked in the oven.
Well, you can't rely on the British weather and cook everything on the barbecue, can you?
Eat these all year round for a snack or for entertaining friends and familyu. I can gurarantee thay will disappear in seconds!
So incredibly good.
What do you like to top your burger with?
As I have sons, my family like the full works! It has to have fried onions, cheese and bacon to be a proper burger.
All too often though, the onions are trying to escape from the bun and the bacon is hanging out, so these bacon wrapped onion rings make for a much less messy affair.
These onion rings are also baked in the oven and can even be frozen for your next burger, for when you need dinner in a hurry, but still want all the flavour too.
Either way, you will have some very happy men and boys in your life.
This is totally what I call man grub!
Why you will love this recipe
- Great for topping burgers for less mess
- Oven baked
- Delicious as a snack
- Everything is better with bacon!
- Onion - any onion variety that you prefer, but you do need large onions as it is too fiddly to wrap small onion rings. The large Spanish onions work well as they are sweet too.
- Bacon - I've used smoked streaky bacon for flavour and because the the rashers are an even width for easier wrapping. This is also known as belly bacon.
- Sugar - light brown sugar gives a lovely sweet caramel taste to the bacon.
- Salt - cooking salt - but feel free to leave this out if you are using smoked bacon as it already tends to be quite salty.
- Pepper - freshly ground black pepper.
- Garlic - I nearly always use freshly chopped garlic but the bacon onion rings need to cook for a while in the oven and this would result in burnt garlic. In this recipe I am using garlic powder, which gives the flavour without burning.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Aluminium foil
- Large oven tray
- Cocktail sticks
Peel the onions and slice into rings about 1cm or half inch slices.
From the 2 onions it should be possible to get 12 pieces, comprising of 2 rings.
Set aside the middle pieces to use at another time.
Take a piece of bacon and wrap around each pair of onion rings.
It's easier to start at a slight angle so you can overlap slightly.
If you run out of bacon just use another slice and cut off when the onion ring is covered.
Place on a foil covered baking tray.
💭 Top Tip
- Break a cocktail stick in half and use it to secure any loose bacon ends to the onion rings.
In a small bowl mix the sugar with the garlic powder and seasoning.
Dip each bacon wrapped onion ring in the sugar mix both sides.
⏲️ Baking Time
Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / 160 FAN / Gas 4 and bake for 20 minutes.
Turn over the bacon onion rings and bake for a further 20 minutes.
Don't forget to remove the cocktail sticks before serving!
🥗 Serve with
These onion rings go particularly well with burgers or barbecued food like these.
- Minted Lamb Burgers
- Stilton and Black Pudding Burgers
- Black Bean Burgers
- Venison Burgers
- Falafel Burgers
- Lincolnshire Sausage Skewers
- Pinchos de Pollo
- Onions - use thick slices of peppers instead of onions.
- Bacon - try some Serrano ham or Proscuitto for a different flavour.
- Refrigerator - cool cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freezer - wrap in airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat - defrost overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven at 180 C / 350 F / 160 FAN / Gas 4
Prepare in Advance
- If you want to get ahead, simpley prepare the bacon onion rings and leave in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook for up to 2 days.
Onions are the basis of so many things, so leftover chopped onions never go to waste.
Use as the basis for savoury mince, which leeds to cottage pie or a bolognaise sauce.
Slice and use in stir fries. or make French onion soup.
Make onion sauce to go with lamb, or use as a base for gravy with roast beef.
Absolutely! The good thing is that you can freeze onions without any blanching for up to 8 months without any loss of quality.
Either place in portions in plastic containers or freeze in bags stored flat.
In this way the onios will freeze in an even layer and you can break ff what you need if you just need a small amount.
Cook from frozen.
Store cut onions in covered containers for up to a week.
More light bites to try
- Corned Beef Fritters
- Courgette and Sweetcorn Fritters
- Creamy Mushrooms on Toast
- Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
- Baked Breaded Garlic Mushrooms
- Quail Scotch Eggs
Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
- Aluminium foil
- Large oven tray
- Cocktail sticks
- 2 onions large
- 300 streaky bacon
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt leave out if using smoked bacon
- Peel the onions and slice into rings about 1cm or half inch slices.
- From the 2 onions it should be possible to get 12 pieces, comprising of 2 rings.
- Take a piece of bacon and wrap around each pair of onion rings.
- Place on a foil covered baking tray and secure loose ends with half a cocktail stick.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar with the garlic powder and seasoning. Dip each piece in the sugar mix both sides.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / 160 FAN / Gas 4 and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn over the bacon onion rings and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove the cocktail sticks before serving
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Detailed instructions for this recipe, including step by step photographs, hints and tips, can be found in the main article
More light bites
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using gas.
Do you have a question or did you make the recipe?
Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover the dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties
However, due to spam comments, I do have to moderate each one, so don't worry if you cannot see your comment immediately. I'll publish your comments as soon as I can.